Table of Contents
Owning a vehicle and its maintenance comes at a steep price. There is the regular servicing to consider even if no apparent problem is noticed while using it. Since your vehicle is an important investment, care should be taken towards its proper maintenance. But there are ways to save money if you consider doing some work on your own. Handy provides you with a few basic automotive service facilities that you can easily do and save money otherwise spent on a garage.
- Oil change– Referring to your vehicle owner’s manual will give you an idea of how frequently the oil should be changed for its smooth functioning. The manufacturer’s recommendations and attention to any maintenance alert on your dashboard will guide you accordingly. Changing your car’s oil is a quick and non-cumbersome process and if you perform this task yourself you not only save money but also ensure using the correct viscosity.
- Changing your battery– Depending on various factors, an average car battery lasts for about four years. When it comes to maintaining your battery, it is best not to wait to replace it until it dies. Change it yourself, preferably with a battery purchased from a local discount store. Clean cable terminals with baking soda and water and be extra cautious while switching cables.
- Changing bulbs- As a car owner, you should regularly check all the outside bulbs. You will know when your headlights are out but keeping a check on other ones especially the brake lights are important. In case they need a replacement, it is very easy to do it on your own. Pull out the old bulb to ensure you are getting the correct size when you go to the store.
- Checking the brake pads– The brake pad thickness should be checked once every 10,000 miles. But depending on driving style and frequency of use you should keep a check on it for extra wear and tear. Care should be taken for DIY brake pad maintenance as you begin by raising your car up and removing the wheel. Since brakes are a big safety item, it is essential for you to be extra vigilant as you change it on your own.
- Basic tune-up- A basic tune-up includes changing your oil, fuel filter, air filter, and spark plugs. Replacing an air filter comes easy as all you need to do is remove the top of the air filter held in place by screws, replace it, and reinstall the hosing. If you have an idea about cars, the steps should not feel too complicated.
Compared to what an average car dealer charges for the regular maintenance, you end up saving a reasonable amount when you do it yourself. The key is to decide whether you are up for the task to save some money. You may begin to do these under someone’s supervision first and subsequently do it yourself as you gain more confidence. These automotive service facilities are simple and easy and Handy feels you will become a pro at it if you keep practicing. You can learn about the best way to take care of your vehicle by yourself and save the workshop service charges, on this website: https://advanceautocars.com